Thursday, October 10, 2013

Revolight - Like Arduino Bike Lighting System


Revolights are revolutionary, but they are REALLY EXPENSIVE!!!

Haven't heard of them...Check them out, then come back here to learn how to make your own!

 I am hoping to provide a means for any DIYer to make a comparable bike lighting system for themselves AND for a fraction of the cost.

This project is completely open sourced, meaning I am not charging for my information, designs, programming code, etc. Why do this you ask?  Simple.  These lights, like Revolights, will save lives and everyone deserves access to this technology. Even if your pockets aren't super deep.

So far I have found an electronic control platform and written programming code for both the front and rear wheels.  Each wheel will need its own independent controller. Each controller is identical. ONLY the programming code uploaded on it will be different. There is code for the front wheel that is different from the back wheel code.  (see code links below).

I chose the Atmel 328p bootloaded with Arduino for the "through hole" dip chip option OR the attiny167 for the "surface mount" option. Both of these integrated circuits share the same physical pinout and the code I wrote for both the front and back wheels will work flawlessly with either IC chip you choose.

Here is my YouTube video to catch you up to speed on what I'm making:
Keep in mind that this is just a crude mock up and not a refined build. Yet.



If your looking for my Arduino Code then look no further:

Front wheel code

Rear wheel code

The programming code calls for the LEDS to be distributed around a bike wheel in a specific sequence. Here is a picture of how the lights need to be ordered for the programming to light them properly for the intended effect:



* please read the code comments.  They explain where the hall effect sensor (wheel rotation sensor) and sensor magnet (ordinary magnet) need to be placed in relation to the numbered LEDs seen in the picture above.  If not placed correctly (hall sensor OR magnet, then the system will not operate as intended. 


Next I will be making a schematic followed by a circuit board specifically for this build.  I could simply just use the Arduino Uno board as I did in the video above, although this would be too heavy and bulky in a bike wheel.  To avoid heavy and bulky electronics I'm designing my own circuit board with the attiny167.  This board will be very small and light allowing for a sleeker appearance.  I simply used the Arduino Uno to test and refine my programming.

I recently learned how to make my own circuit boards at home using the photo transfer method.  I am very pleased with the quality this technique allows for.  I'll post pictures of my boards when they are made.

I'll also be posting my schematics and eagle board layout for the build as soon as I finish them, know they don't have errors, and test them.  

Just a quick update everyone.   I'm working out my board layout on eagle and test fitting my circuit components.  Everything looks good.  I'll share the files when I know these work.





    In this picture you can see the printed circuit board I'm making for the bike lights.  The quarter is there for size reference.  Crazy small.  Awesome!!!!


I'll be printing this board on photo transfer paper and etching it soon after the holiday.

- Kevin B.
 "Build it, mod it, hack it. Do it."









10 comments:

  1. Hi! Great project! Can you heelp me to do it? Here's my e-mail: tsoos99@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! I love it! I live in Hillsboro Oregon just minutes away from Portland, I will definitely be contacting you to help me build this for my bikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to your build progress

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would an ardweeny work for the board (http://www.makershed.com/product_p/mksb012.htm?Click=37845). Seems fun to make your own board, but for the average person wanting to do this, would be better to have a cheap comercially available board. Maybe even a lilypad would work ok (they are pretty small). Also looks like there are a bunch of small arduino boards at http://tiny-circuits.com/, don't know much about them, but seem like possible solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any updates? wiating for half a year to see a finished product, wondering how the assembled pcb turned out. would be nice to see some more photos and writeups about the progres of the project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi kevin do you have the link for the video?? i'm traying to build it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Between which two leds do you place the hall effect sensor and where do you place the magnet

    ReplyDelete